A Little Dotty
I took part in a minature robin project with a few members of my guild and this is the finished result. The way the robin worked was you created a block, added fabrics, and passed it to the next person in the group (there were four of us). The next person in the group had to add a border or section using the fabrics given (or adding some of their own if desired) and complete within a month, pass again and repeat, pass again and repeat. The only rule was the finished piece could be no larger than 15″. We then met for lunch and the completed tops were revealed and returned to the original owner to be finished.
I chose to use a selection of Marcia Derse fabrics. Some were hand dyed that I had picked up from her at the Houston quilt show a number of years ago, some were from her commercial fabrics. These fabrics have been sitting in my stash waiting for a project worthy of them (and I still have plenty left to make something big, check back in a few years…) I also had a few other hand dyeds that Sue Pelland made and some silk floss from Planet Earth Fiber.
I’ve done a few of these robins over the years and it still amazes me how they come together – different and better than you could have imagined. It’s also always challenging to have to work outside your comfort zone. Your robinmates use different colors and styles than you do, so you have to adapt or learn a new skill. For instance, in the adorable robin with the appliqued house, I did the outer border with the appliqued hearts – hand appliqued mind you – which is not my strong suit.
Thanks to Christine M, Marcia N, and Debbie Wendt for their beautiful work on my little treasure. Their miniatures turned out beautifully too!